Saturday, January 1, 2011

My Copenhagen MUST list

During my last few weeks in Copenhagen, I became a tourist. Most people wouldn't think that there's a lot to see in Copenhagen, but there is. Here's my list of things you should do and see:

1. The Royal Ballet: I saw the Royal Ballet perform Sleeping Beauty. My program was selling tickets for $10. The costumes were fantastic, and I got to see the Royal Theater.


2. Go to a Christmas lunch. This may not be possible if you visit in the summer or if you don't know any Danes, but I would recommend getting yourself invited to a Christmas lunch. They are dinner parties where Danes drink a crazy amount of alcohol, and therefore, chaos and fun ensues. 

3. The Little Mermaid. Yes, this is an incredibly small landmark, but if you're in Denmark, you need to see it. 


4. The Black Diamond. It's a beautiful library. Unfortunately, I did not get to see the inside, but it's a great place to relax, do some homework, or read a good book.


5. Go on a canal tour. There's is a 30 kroner canal tour (approximately $6) that's excellent.  Find this tour along the water. There's another one that's 60 kroner, but they're the same tour. Go for the cheaper one.

6. The Round Tower. I would recommend going to the top. You get a beautiful view of the city.


7. Walk down Copenhagen's winding streets, enjoy the architecture, and find a cafe. Sit outside and relax. Denmark is known as the home of the "happiest people in the world," so that might give you a good reason why. The Danes do not live to work, they work to live. I would recommend visiting Cafe Paluden. It's close to Norreport station.

8. Tivoli. It's an amusement park in the center of the city, and you should at least walk through it or peak inside.


9. Agnes Cupcakes. Of course, this list wouldn't be complete if I didn't mention "the first cupcake bakery" in Denmark. You must try one of these cupcakes if you visit.


10. Danish. You must try a wonderful Danish pastry if you're in Denmark. I would recommend St. Peter's Bakery. The prices are cheaper, and it's delicious. 


11. Christiana. It's a free town in Copenhagen where people can live and work. I would describe it as a kind of hippie place where people can relax and shop. There's a church that is very close to the entrance of Christiana. You can't miss the winding golden steps up to the top. I would recommend going to the top. You get a beautiful view of the whole city.



12. The Frederiksberg Gardens and Zoo. I loved walking through the gardens. You can also take a boat ride.


That's all for now. Wow! That took a long time, and I've already thought of a few places I missed like Rosenborg Castle, the home of the crown jewels, the Botanical Gardens, and Amalienborg Palace, where the queen and her son live. Better plan a long trip to Copenhagen!

No comments:

Post a Comment